For this Thanksgiving, I got together with the other three American NEURUS students, one of their girlfriends, and one of their German roommates. In typical procrastination style, we planned out dinner Wednesday afternoon. You have to order turkeys in advance from a butcher and no one has an oven big enough for a turkey, so we had to skip the turkey. Erica made stuffing, Nathan and Kaylee made deviled eggs and brought cheese, crackers, and apple pie, Brandon made two types of mashed potatoes and kale, Katharina made real German dinner rolls, and I made a roast chicken, green bean casserole and mulled wine.
It was my first time roasting a chicken and I was impressed with how easy and delicious it was. The green bean casserole was a little more tricky. We don't have a measuring cup in our kitchen, so I had to guess on the quantities. I could not find French fried onions, so I improvised with a combination of crumbled crackers and the Dutch version of Funyuns. It actually came out really good and I would totally make it that way again.
The hardest part of the day was transporting what I made to Brandon and Katharina's apartment. I had two glass baking dishes full of food and all the ingredients for mulled wine - including a huge pot to make it in. I found a box and carefully packed the casserole and chicken inside and strapped the box to the back of my bike. The ingredients for mulled wine fit into my backpack, aside from the huge stock pot. So, I carried the pot in my hand while I cycled 3.5 kilometers to Brandon's place. It was one of the most difficult bike rides in my life, but completely worth it. Everything was delicious (even the pie!) and we all ate more than was comfortable. The only thing that could have made the night better would be a pair of stretch pants. Holy cow, I really love Thanksgiving.
| Food in the box, booze in the backpack |
| NEURUS Americans and Kaylee |
| The spread! (minus the kale) |
No comments:
Post a Comment