Thursday, October 27, 2011

Old Time Fun

Going on exchange as a grad student means you will probably be older than most of the other students on exchange.  In my experience, this is definitely true.  I am older than the 4 Winschoterdiep student managers, all the people on my floor, and it could be safe to guess that the ripe old age of 25 makes me the oldest person in the building.  That's 350 people we're talking about.  I can tell I am older than people most of the time, but rarely do I actually feel old.

Last night was one of those times.  I was out with a group of people from my floor and we were at a bar that is known for being young, but the drinks are cheap so its a great place to start the night.  I was talking with two baby-faced boys about living in the Netherlands when one of them asked how old I was.  Usually I come right out and say "25" but the last few times I've asked people to guess how old  I am, just for kicks.  Usually I get 23.  Their response?  20.  Yep, they thought I was 20 and they seemed flabbergasted when I told them I was 25.  They actually said, "wow, you're so old."  Really?  Since when is 25 old?  I did my best to convince them that 25 is not at all old, that getting older is actually pretty cool, but that age doesn't matter because you're only as old as you act.  Their response - "you should just tell people you're 21."  My response - I took my old ass to the bar and bought myself another drink. 

The funny thing is, this experience in Groningen has made me feel like a freshman in college again.  I'm living in a dorm, going out on weeknights (and ends), and I've lost all sense of a regular schedule.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am older and should take it easy because I know better than to skip class, stay out all night, watch a movie instead of writing a paper, etc.  It's been really fun to regress temporarily, but I'll be just fine with going back to reality once I'm back home.  In the mean time, perhaps I'll find a cozy dive bar and rub elbows with my fellow oldsters.  They are probably more interesting than baby faces anyways :).

No comments:

Post a Comment