Sunday, September 25, 2011

Student Life

I lied a little bit when I said I didn't have to take classes while abroad.  I must take Dutch Level 1 to receive the second half of my funding (so it's a pretty important class), and I am also taking a class designed for international students in the faculty of spatial sciences, called Spatial Problems and Spatial Politics: The Dutch Experience.  The Dutch language course is absolutely awful and I don't think I have ever performed so badly at something in my life (except maybe my repeated attempts to hit a baseball).  I am, without a doubt, the worst student in the class.  I simply can't seem to understand this language, and the fact that our book is entirely in Dutch doesn't help.  I hate feeling stupid, and for four hours each week I get to feel like a complete idiot in Dutch class.  I am honestly considering watching Dutch children's tv programs and reading children's books to help me at least learn some basics.  Until then, I'll sadly wear my dunce cap and try to hide behind the other students in class so the professor doesn't call on me.

Spatial Problems and Spatial Politics is a different story.  The class teaches us all about the Netherlands - culture, geography, politics, economy, etc - and I really enjoy it.  I believe I will learn more about the Netherlands in this class than most Dutch people learn after a lifetime of living here.  Perhaps the coolest part of the class is the many field trips (called excursions here) that we attend.  Our first excursion was a bus trip to various points within the city and suburbs of Groningen.  Most students don't venture far outside the city center, so I feel lucky to have the chance to see how "real" Groningeners (-ites?) live.  Future excursions include a water management trip, a bike infrastructure trip, and a visit to the Randstad.  The only downside is that the class takes up a great deal of time.  Excursions last all day (some are 14 hours!), and lectures vary from 4 to 10 hours a week.  I will not have as much time to travel as I initially thought I would, but at least I'll get to see more of the Netherlands than I ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment